Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Global Warming -- My opinion on the presentation

I remember my first time really hearing about Global Warming was in 8th grade when we watched Al Gore's movie "The Inconvenient Truth" and this movie for me as an 8th grader went right over my head. Watching this presentation on Monday I learned a lot of things that I had never known about global warming. Volcanoes cool the earth but yet so many people blame them for being a cause of global warming. So many people do not acknowledge that humans are the main cause of this warming. Just as the presenter said if it wasn't us then what is it? The Earth has been warming at an extremely fast rate, but this solar change has decreased. So what else would be the cause? Us.
I was shocked at how much a 5 degree change would change the world around us. We know what it would be like with a change that is 5 degrees lower than what it is, with that we would be under a sheet of ice. But we don't know what would happen if the Earth warmed up 5 degrees. Also we all have heard the "buy fuel effective cars" but when the presenter put up on the screen how good these cars are and their MPG rates, it shows just how much better these cars are. I think that these are great but I do want to point out that other cars that are not eco-friendly, I have a non eco friendly car but I get 33 miles to the gallon.
I think we need to do something about this but I do not think that there is an end in sight. Why? Because there are so many people that do not know what is going on. Or there are people that do not think that this problem exists. They do not want to admit that we are harming the earth. I think we need to educate people with the facts. It is the people who are older, they do not think that it exists. because they didn't have to deal with it when they were younger but now I do, and my children will have to as well.

2 comments:

  1. I too thought about Al Gore's presentation during the presentation on Monday. I found the presentation in class to be a little more balanced but still retaining a sense of urgency for action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wanted to buy a Ford Fusion or a Chevy Cruze if I ever got the money. I spend way too much on gas.

    ReplyDelete